Economic Crime Squad of CID deals with the investigation of financial crime committed against property involving the unlawful conversion of the ownership of property to one’s own personal use and benefit and committed by an individual or a group of individuals to obtain a financial gain.
It is the only police unit in Bangladesh to investigate financial crime including enquiries and cases under the Money Laundering Prevention Act. It works in collaboration with Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU), Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), National Board of Revenue (NBR), Customs Intelligence and Investigation Directorate (CIID), Narcotics Control Department, Environment Department, Bangladesh Securities and Exchange Commission and numerous international law enforcement agencies.
- To prevent, detect and investigate cases of economic crimes.
- To ensure prompt justice and desired relief to the victims.
This squad investigates cases and enquiries of the following 24 predicate offences under Money Laundering Prevention Act 2012 (Amendment 2015):
- Counterfeiting currency
- Counterfeiting deeds and documents
- Illegal trade of firearms
- Illegal trade in narcotics drug, psychotropic substances and substances causing intoxication
- Illegal trade in stolen and other goods
- Kidnapping, illegal restrain and hostage taking
- Murder, grievous physical injury
- Trafficking of women and children
- Black marketing
- Smuggling of domestic and foreign currency
- Theft or robbery or dacoity or piracy or hijacking of aircraft
- Human trafficking
- Smuggling and offences related to customs and excise duties
- Infringement of intellectual property rights
- Terrorism or financing in terrorist activities
- Adulteration or the manufacture of goods through infringement of title
- Offences relating to the environment
- Sexual exploitation
- Organized crime